[winGRASS] Cannot run nviz

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Aug 22 04:34:18 EDT 2003

Helmut Muenzing wrote:

> I am running Grass 5.00pre3 on Widows XP with CygWin and XwinServer. So far so
> good.

5.0.0pre3 is hopelessly out of date (January 2002). I suggest trying
to find a more recent version (5.0.2 is the latest).

> While doing the tutorial with the Elsfleth data set, I encountered a problem
> with nviz. I cannot open it, but receive the following error message generated
> by NVWISH2.2:
>
> <<This application has failed to start because cygtcl80.dll was not found -
> Re-installing the application might solve this problem>>
>
> followed by a string of error messages generated by nviz2.2 in the command
> window.
>
> Where does this file in question belong to? CygWin, XServer or GRASS?

cygtcl80.dll is part of Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package.

However, NVIZ won't work with Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package; it needs a
Unix/X11 version of Tcl/Tk. Consequently, that NVWISH2.2 binary (which
is the "core" of NVIZ) simply won't work.

More generally, getting NVIZ to work on Cygwin can be a fair amount of
work. NVIZ requires a high degree of Unix compatility; more than for
the rest of GRASS. It's not uncommon for GRASS/Cygwin binary packages
to include a version of NVIZ which doesn't actually work (usually
because it uses either Cygwin's Tcl/Tk or Cygwin's OpenGL, neither of
which are suitable).