[winGRASS] Importing ArcView shape files & GRASS's file system

Andrew Callan ACALLAN at ci.south-bend.in.us
Fri Jun 20 16:40:45 EDT 2003

I'm an intern for the City of South Bend who uses ArcView but I will be
using GRASS for SIPA who I will be interning with next semester and my
boss now was also intrigued by the package so he has me playing with it
and my question seems to be on a popular topic, when I tried to import
an ArcView shape file everything appeared to work, no error message or
anything, but I could not locate the the file by the name I specified
the output to be anywhere.  Any insights into winGRASS's file system
would also be appreciated, obviously I can put the .shp file to be
imported in my cygwin folder and give an absolute file path to it but if
I want it to show up in the g.list listing what folders specifically
does it need to be in, I think I ended up putting it in about 4
different folders and then it worked.....Links to any tutorials and
either of these topics would be greatly appreciated as a response if any
are available. Thanks in advance

      Andy

------------------- TEXT.htm follows -------------------
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1141" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>I'm&nbsp;an intern&nbsp;for the City of South Bend who uses
ArcView&nbsp;but I will be using GRASS for SIPA who I will be interning with
next semester and my boss now was also intrigued by the package so he has me
playing with it and my question seems to be on a popular topic, when I tried to
import an ArcView shape file everything appeared to work, no error message or
anything,&nbsp;but I could not locate the the file by the name I specified the
output to be anywhere.&nbsp; Any insights into winGRASS's file system would also
be appreciated, obviously I can put the .shp file to be imported in my cygwin
folder and give an absolute file path to it but if I want it to show up in the
g.list listing what folders specifically does it need to be in, I think I ended
up putting it in about 4 different folders and then it worked.....Links to any
tutorials and either of these topics would be greatly appreciated as a
response&nbsp;if any are available. Thanks in advance</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Andy</DIV></BODY></HTML>