[winGRASS] Raster Import

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jun 18 16:45:15 EDT 2003

Gerry James wrote:

> I am a new user of GRASS and I am operating under the cygwin/xwindows
> interface.  I have been trying to import some airphotos into grass but have
> had no success.  I have tried the r.in.gdal, r.in.tiff, and even the
> r.in.bin commands.  They all appear to import the file ok but when I try to
> view using the GUI interface in winGRASS it gives an error specifying:
>
> WARNING: Fail of initial read of compressed file [yale1.image in YALE]
> mail: not found

The first thing is to check that Cygwin is set to treat all files as
binary. This can be done by adding "binmode" to the value of the
CYGWIN environment variable; IIRC, this can also be set when you
install Cygwin (choose "Unix" for the default file format), and also
with the "mount" command.

If the files were imported in text mode, you will need to delete the
files in the mapset directory and re-do the import step once you have
Cygwin set to use binary mode.