[winGRASS] documentation for winGRASS/cygwin port

Andreas Lange Andreas.C.Lange at GMX.de
Fri Mar 7 08:11:46 EST 2003

Glynn Clements wrote:

> AFAICT, the differences are limited to:
>
>         driver/XDRIVER
>         bin/libG11.dll
>         etc/mon.start
>
> If you have built an X11 version (without --enable-w11), to build a
> native version you need to:
>
> 1. re-run configure with --enable-w11
> 2. clean the directory:
>         src/display/devices/XDRIVER/XDRIVER24
> 3. remove start.o from src/display/d.mon/pgms
> 4. build:
>         src/display/devices/windows
>         src/display/devices/XDRIVER
>         src/display/d.mon
>
> The exact details depend upon whether you're using the standard or
> alternate build mechanisms.
>
> FWIW, the alternate mechanism is much quicker at building the
> documentation on Cygwin, because it uses make's internal timestamp
> checking logic rather than repeatedly spawning the etc/getModTime
> script (process spawning is *much* slower on Cygwin than on Linux).
> The difference is particularly pronounced for rebuilds, where the html
> directory may account for half of the total time. Also, the alternate
> mechanism builds the documentation last.

thank you very much for the answer. I'll try to create a package with
only the differences to the X11 version.

Process spawning is really slow on cygwin, but i don't care. My setup
works with the old mechanism, so i plan to stay with that.

BTW i am looking for a name for the "winGRASS" port, the documentation
mixes different names, which is confusing.
Perhaps it would be wise to use one umbrella term for winGRASS and two
different names for the X11 version and the "native" version. Any
recommendations?

Andreas