[winGRASS] d.mon not selecting graphics monitor

James Tracy jtracy at spa.ars.usda.gov
Tue Oct 14 11:29:47 EDT 2003

winGrass Users:

I am hoping to be a new user of winGrass. I can open the XFree86 window with startxwin.bat on either of two Windows XP computers. After starting Grass5 in the XBash  I get the follwing error messages when executing the d.mon commands:

Grass"> d.mon x0
Socket is already in use or not accepting connections
Use d.mon to select a monitor
Problem selection x0. Will try once more
No socket to connect to for monitor <x0>.
Grass"> using default visual which is TrueColor
ncolors: 16777216
Graphics driver [x0] started
Grass"> d.mon select=x0
Monitor read1:Error reading input: operation not permitted
ERROR - eof from graphics monitor
Grass">

I can successfully launch tcltkgrass, and when I try to display a raster I get the following error in my d.rast output window:

"No graphics monitor has been selected for output. Please run "d.mon" to select a graphics monitor."

I get the same errors if I submit "d.mon x3" and "d.mon select=x3".

Any suggestions to try would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

James L. Tracy
Biological Science Technician (Insects)
USDA/ARS Grassland, Soil & Water Research Lab
808 East Blackland Road
Temple, Texas 76502
USA
Voice: 254-770-6536