[winGRASS] grass on cygwin first run

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Fri Jan 9 20:30:47 EST 2004

Glynn Clements wrote:
> -LПрокопьев Евгений wrote:-A
>

>>I can't run grass as described in
>>http://grass.itc.it/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/cygwin_grass50bininstall.html
>>
>>nviz elevation.dem vect=roads & can't run because it require tcl84.dll.
>>I installed tcltk 8.4.4 from ActiveTcl, but nviz can't run with
>>following errors:
>

> If NVIZ requires tcl84.dll, it hasn't been compiled correctly, and
> won't work. Did you get a binary GRASS package, or did you build it
> yourself?

I believe I have seen that error when I had both the Cygwin 8.4 tcltk
and the 'Grass' 8.3 tcltk installed. I think it is generally recommended
that you use only the 'Grass' 8.3 tcltk available at:
http://grass.ibiblio.org/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/wingrass_xserver/

See:
http://www.ecosconsult.com.br/grass-list/arq/11045.html
for a better explanation.

With that said, I have never got NVIZ working under Cygwin. But I have
not tried very hard because I remember reading that NVIZ did not work on
Cygwin (although I forget where and when I read that). Is it possible?
And if so, can anyone (Glynn) offer any pointers?

Regards,
--
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com