[winGRASS] Re: m.proj s.in.ascii s.to.rast

John Robertson jr1 at jrshelby.com
Fri Apr 15 13:34:40 EDT 2005

In the FWIW department, as a "green as grass" newcomer, I have been
attempting to revise a 5.0 tutorial for GRASS into what I wish were
available for WinGRASS 6.0 (as I figure it out) with no emphasis on speed
in doing so.

Not finding a cross-reference between Bash commands and GUI(Display
Manager) menu selections, I have attempted to make such.  You'll find it here:
http://jrshelby.com/grass/tutorial60/commands.htm

This may or not be of usefulness to others, but the process of doing it
gave me some perspective on the relationship between the Bash and the
GUI.  For one thing, it makes obvious those things which *cannot* be done
in the GUI(D.Mgr.).

What is missing in this exercise is a 3rd sorting by
1) description, with wording rearranged in "index" order, and/or by
2) function
which might well be of more usefulness to a newcomer than those provided.

I found an example "by function" here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/gis/grass/gdp/grassmanuals/grass50_commands_sorted.html
and attempted to update it to 6.0 but found that so many of the commands no
longer existed in the form given that it was not something a newbie should
undertake.  I suspect that if a similar sorting were made for 6.0, the
categories would not be identical to those for 5.0.

But the most useful of the lot, if it were available, might be 1), above,
if done by someone truly familiar with GRASS (which won't be me for a
*long* time!).  Some items might require multiple listings with variants in
wording.  Such would serve as a real index of which command to go to
perform any GRASS capability.

I am willing to do the grunt work for making such a listing, but only if
someone truly conversant with GRASS is willing to critique the results and
tell me what changes/additions are needed to make it right.

John Robertson