[winGRASS] Installation problem

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 08:00:32 EST 2006

On 2/17/06, Graham Smith <graham.smith at myotis.co.uk> wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Thanks,
>
> I am a bit a sea with this, as I don't even know how to start the Bash
> shell.
>
> However, if I go into the directory and double click on bash.exe a Dos
> window opens called C:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe.
>
> Typing startx (plus return) in this window, gives me a "command not found
> error"
>
> I have also found on the WINGrass Wiki, that I hadn't found when I sent my
> original post, that other people have had the same problem.
>
> The advice there is to run C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\startxwin, then type
> "Grass60.bat"
>
> This opens a "Windows like" Bash shell, but when I type "Grass" or
> "Grass60.bat" and hit return, I get a command not found error.
>
> Grass60.bat is in the C:\cygwin directory.
>
> I have tried manually changing the active directory with cd c:\cygwin but I
> cannot get a "\" in Bash. the "\" key gives me a "<" symbol. I have tried to
> find where the "\" has been remapped, but without success. It only affects
> Bash.
>
> I wonder if I should just re-install. To uninstall can I simply delete the
> Cygwin directory?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Graham

No need to re-install. You open a bash shell by double clicking the
Cygwin icon on your desktop, or by picking the "Cygwin Bash Shell" in
your program menu. The Bash Shell looks like a DOS shell.

In the Bash shell type 'startx'. This starts a graphical windowing
system. If you get command not found, the run your Cygwin setup.exe
and install  the X11 windowing system.

When you are working within the Cygwin environment, you will generally
not run a .BAT file. The proper command would be 'grass6' or 'grass60'
(I forget which).

It's best pratice to reply to the list, not to the individual. In that
way everyone on the list has the oppertunity to participate.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com