[winGRASS] thanks in advance......

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Sat Feb 17 16:09:38 EST 2007

sijan ahamed wrote:

>   Can anyone help me??????????????????
>
>  I was continously posting my probles in grass compiling..but am not getting
> good support.
>
>  I am successful in compiling grass62 on cygwin(winXP).
> but while running am getting following error after entering mapset,location
> through GUI
>
> "grass6.2.1(demodata)~>child process exited abnormally"

"child process exited abnormally" means that a program was run using
Tcl's "exec" or "open" commands, and that program indicated some form
of error, either by returning a non-zero exit status or writing to
stderr.

The error message doesn't help unless you know *which* program
terminated abnormally. If the error message is followed by a
backtrace, it will include the full "exec" command including the name
of the program being run.

> I think it is due to problem with tcl/tk.
> I was using packages (gcc,zlib,..) installed along with cygwin...except gdal
> and proj which i compiled&installed from source code..
>
> When i used Tcl/tk 8.4 package coming along with cygwin...am getting errors
> in so many modules during grass compilation..
> so I uninstalled it and just used tcl/tk libraries coming along with
> cygwin..
> Then i got success in compiling..then i tried installing tcl/tk from
> cygwin..but still am getting error during running grass...
> Should i make any linking during compiling.

Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package definitely doesn't work with GRASS; you need
to use the version at:

	http://grass.itc.it/grass62/binary/mswindows/tcltk-grass-8.4.7-1.tar.bz2

For safety, you should ensure that Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package isn't
installed. While it is possible to have both versions on the same
system and to use the correct one, unless you know what you are doing
(and are careful) it's very easy to end up using Cygwin's version by
accident.

If you can't get the GUI to work, start by trying to use the text
interface ("grass62 -text"). If that doesn't work, the GUI definitely
won't work, so you need to fix that before trying to solve any
problems related to Tcl/Tk or the GUI.