[winGRASS] Abnormal exit

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Sat May 19 08:49:48 EDT 2007

On Sat, May 19, 2007 02:15, Howard Webb wrote:
> I have tried re-installing WinGrass several times, but haven't figured out
> what part I am missing or what configuration setting I have incorrect.
> WinGrass starts up just fine, and any of the menu selections work as
> expected (I can load and display raster and vector maps).
>
> However, whenever I try to run a command (i.e.: v.in.e00) from the command
> window or XTerm, they fail and I get a "Exited abnormally" message.

Any other information in the error message ?

Note that v.in.e00 is a shell script and, therefore might not work
correctly in windows (although it should in the msys environment).

> Interestingly, I can go to the shell and run the command, though it is
> giving me the error of "avce00 not found".

v.in.e00 requires the avce00 tools which you can get at
http://avce00.maptools.org/ (you need both avce00 and e00compr).

> Has anyone experienced this, or have any suggestions?

>From below, it seems that you are using Huidae's version of winGRASS from
http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html.

This is now superseded by a new version which you can get here:
http://moritz.homelinux.org/grass/wingrass/

> ------------------------
> Startup:
>
> sh: cd: c:/mysys/1.0/bin: No such file or directory
> Cleaning up temporary files.....
> Starting GRASS ...
> WARNING: Attention!
> WARNING: Locking is not supported on Windows!
> Welcome to GRASS 6.3.cvs (2006)
> GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
> This version running thru:               Bourne Shell (/bin/sh)
> Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
> See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
> If required, restart the graphical user interface with: gis.m &
> When ready to quit enter:                exit
> GRASS 6.3.cvs (spearfish60):C:/msys/1.0/home/Howard Webb > ~
> Bat file variables:
> set STARTUP_DIR=c:/mysys/1.0/bin

In the new version of winGRASS you do not need to set this, but in any
case, this should be msys, not mysys.

Moritz