[GRASS-windows] Compiling and testing i.class

Daniel Rodríguez Pérez daniel at dfmf.uned.es
Wed Nov 21 17:30:53 EST 2007

Hello everybody.

I am new to this mail-list and not too experienced with WinGrass, so my
apologies in advance for any "newby thing" in what follows.

I am using Grass as the software of a remote sensing course and I am
trying to use the supervised classification module i.class.

I've seen in the winGrass Wiki that this module is still to be fixed for
Windows. It does not compile "cleanly" due to some mingw signal trapping
limitations (¿win32 limitations?).

 From the source code, I have guessed that the problem is due to
SIGALARM. It is trapped to avoid infinite time iterations in one loop
(instead of checking the time elapsed in every step, which could be very
time consuming ¿?). So I commented out the signal trap and the program
compiled neatly and runs from the command line (although no GUI is
launched when called from the menu ¿?).

However, I have tried to work out some classification example to test
it, and here comes my problem: I haven't found any step-by-step example
to follow. A friend of mine tried following the "Grass Book", but it is
not too explicit about this issue. When passing the parameters, i.class
always complains about some empty on nonexistent subgroup (¿may be there
is a problem defining groups and subgroups?).

I would like to hear any ideas.

PS: Can anybody also tell me about how to contribute the code changes to
the winGrass developers (assuming i.class eventually works).

Thanks in advance.

--
Daniel Rodriguez-Perez, <daniel at dfmf.uned.es>

Depto. Fisica Matematica y de Fluidos