[GRASS-windows] Compiling grass7 on msys/mingw?

Marco Pasetti pasetti.marco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 04:43:11 EST 2008

Hi Moritz,

> XDR has repeatedly been a problem under windows. Try this (from
> http://www.stjohnspoint.co.uk/grass/README.extralibs)
>
> xdrlib
> ------
>
> xdr-4.0-mingw2
> http://wiki.qgis.org/qgiswiki/BuildingWindowsBinaryOnLinux?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=xdr-4.0-mingw2.tar.gz
> (special stripped-down version with networking code removed)
>
> Copy in the config.guess file from the GRASS distribution.
> CFLAGS="-O2 -s" CXXFLAGS="-O2 -s" LDFLAGS=-s
> ./configure --prefix=/c/grass/extra
> make
> make install
> (Must compile this as a static library because of obscure problems with
> shared)
>
> Marco, maybe you could update
> http://www.webalice.it/marco.pasetti/grass/BuildFromSource.html#Xdr to
> reflect this better ? Or have you been able to do this differently ?

The actual instruction of the guide works fine and produces a linkable
static Xdr library on 6.3.0; I'll test it on 7 soon.

The build instructions you mentioned above (from Paul, IIRC) are older than
the one in the building guide, and produces no differences in the static
library.
On the future builds I'll try to use a dymanic library instead of the static
one... maybe that could be the solution (or maybe the configure script looks
only for the dynamic libxdr but not for the static one... I don't actually
know...)

Cheers,

Marco