[GRASS-windows] is it possible to use R package spgrass6 to" load" MySQL data into Grass 6.3?

Darren Norris doon75 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 10:46:51 EDT 2008

apologies for sending twice but first time had wrong subject line!!

Dear all,
I need to get data (which define vector polygons, lines and points) from MySQL database into GRASS (my rasters are in GRASS). As the MySQL driver is being worked on (but low priotity) I'm just looking for alternatives and advice.

As the MySQL driver is implemented in R I was thinking of using R (with sp packages plus rgdal etc) as an interface between MySQL and Grass 6.3 (I have Grass 6.3 installed using native installer on Vista).

Idea would be create R "sp" object from the MySQL data, run R from GRASS and write the R sp object to a GRASS vector.
Are there any reasons why this would be a really bad idea (it is messy and far from perfect but lets me avoid having to import DBF files - which I have a habit of losing / corrupting, just a case of personal preference really)?

My work is generally small scale i.e. sizes of files in MB not GB, all run on a personal laptop so I don't think I have to worry about waiting a little or running out of memory / disk space while I move the data between MySQL / R / Grass - is that correct?
Many thanks for any comments / words of warning / advice.
Darren