[GRASS-windows] Large file support?

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jul 28 16:24:32 EDT 2008

Marco (and GRASS'ers):

	Has anyone *successfully* imported a file > 4gb via r.in.gdal into
GRASS for Windows (including looking at the file and do a v.what in the
lower portions of that image)?  Enabling the lfs flag I don't think is
the issue -- I think *grass* can deal with big files, but the GDAL
compile it is relying on probably isn't configured correctly.  I have
confirmed this on two different computers, importing two different files
(both are > 7gb) -- the import absolutely finished -- it failed on both
computers in the same place.  I gave it PLENTY of time (> 12 hours, it
imported in about 2 hours on a comparable unix box) and the r.in.gdal
"run" button returned to black (usually a good back-up indication that a
process is finished, if the progress bar isn't working).

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar