[GRASS-windows] Large file support?

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Mon Jul 28 16:49:11 EDT 2008

Jonathan,
      I didn't use r.in.gdal, but I did sucessfully import a 32 GB ascii
text file via r.in.xyz on 32 bit GRASS for windows.  Granted, it did take a
bit over 8 hours, but it was successful.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

             Jonathan
             Greenberg
             <greenberg at ucdavi                                          To
             s.edu>
             grass-windows-bou         grass-windows at lists.osgeo.org
             nces at lists.osgeo.                                     Subject
             org                       Re: [GRASS-windows] Large file
                                       support?

             07/28/2008 04:24
             PM

Marco (and GRASS'ers):

             Has anyone *successfully* imported a file > 4gb via r.in.gdal
into
GRASS for Windows (including looking at the file and do a v.what in the
lower portions of that image)?  Enabling the lfs flag I don't think is
the issue -- I think *grass* can deal with big files, but the GDAL
compile it is relying on probably isn't configured correctly.  I have
confirmed this on two different computers, importing two different files
(both are > 7gb) -- the import absolutely finished -- it failed on both
computers in the same place.  I gave it PLENTY of time (> 12 hours, it
imported in about 2 hours on a comparable unix box) and the r.in.gdal
"run" button returned to black (usually a good back-up indication that a
process is finished, if the progress bar isn't working).

--j

http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/native/README.html#Release%20Notes

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD