[GRASS-windows] Large file support?

Marco Pasetti marcopstt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 11:42:19 EDT 2008

Hi Jonathan,

>I remember having problems with LFS and GDAL when we were compiling
>starspan for windows use (starspan.casil.ucdavis.edu) -- I'll ask our lead
>programmer about that.  We used to have to use:
>
>    export CPPFLAGS=-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>    export CXXFLAGS=-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>    export CFLAGS=-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>
> to get GDAL to compile with LFS correctly, although we haven't used that
> for a long time.

yes, after reading some things more, I suppose that this is the problem
I suppose that we could fix it adding to the GDAL configure the
option: --with-unix-stdio-64=yes
but I cannot test it right now... I added it to my to-do list

> Unfortunately, its going to be difficult to get you a 7gb file -- is there
> any easy way to make a test image in GRASS with random values?  If so, you
> could export it to ENVI format via r.out.gdal and then re-import it via
> r.in.gdal.

yes, obviously, you cannot send me as email attachment :-D; I just hoped
that it was somehow available on a public server location

> Again, has *anyone* besides me performed a > 4gb import via r.in.gdal in
> grass windows recently that can confirm/deny this issue?  This would
> isolate the problem to *me* rather than taking up everyone's valuable time
> thinking its a generic problem!

I strongly suppose that is definetely a generic problem.
Let me check it out in the GDAL's Mailing List

Regards,

Marco