[GRASS-windows] GRASS 6.3.0RC5

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed Mar 19 19:12:57 EDT 2008

On 19/03/08 23:38, Adam Baker wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Moritz Lennert
> <mlennert at club.worldonline.be> wrote:
>> On 19/03/08 17:12, Adam Baker wrote:
>>  > Hi, thanks for responding.
>>  >
>>  > I do have that file, C:\GRASS\tcl-tk\bin\wish.exe. When I run it a
>>  > "console" and a "wish" window pop up.
>>  >
>>  > My grass63.bat file has a line:
>>  >    set GRASS_WISH=wish.exe
>>  > I made a guess and changed it to:
>>  >    set GRASS_WISH=C:\GRASS\tcl-tk\bin\wish.exe
>>  >
>>  > That got me farther: the GRASS startup window appears. However, this
>>  > message is printed to the console:
>>  >
>>  > access: Invalid argument
>>  > ERROR: LOCATION << C:/GRASS/<UNKNOWN> >> not available
>>  >
>>  > And I get a Tcl-looking pop-up box that reads, "Warning: location
>>  > <<UNKNOWN>> at GISDBASE <C:/GRASS> is not a directory or does not
>>  > exist." When I close that, nothing seems wrong (but I wouldn't
>>  > necessarily know, since this is my first interaction the program).
>>
>>  Nothing is wrong, just GRASS telling you that it doesn't have correct
>>  information about a location to use, which is normal for a first
>>  startup. We absolutely have to fix this as it is scary enough to make
>>  people belief something is seriously wrong.
>>
>>  You should not see this message again the next time you run GRASS.
>>
>>  Moritz
>>

> Hi,
>
> I did get that message multiple times, but it went away after I
> changed the "GIS Data Directory" field to C:/GRASS/GIS DataBase.

Yes, sorry. I meant that once you have entered grass successfully once
and exited it again, the message should not appear anymore.

> Thereafter, if I select a "Project Location" and "Accessible Mapset"
> and then "Enter GRASS,"  I get the message "Error setting region:
> child killed: unknown signal." Then another pop-up window with a
> lengthy message ("can't read "parts(w)": no such variable....")
> appears. Any idea about that? I can type out the whole thing if
> necessary.

My first guess would be that GRASS cannot find a nececssary library...
Which version of wingrass are you using ? The self-installer (.exe
file), or the zipped package ?

Moritz