[GRASS-windows] failed installation of cygwin and GRASS on windows XP

Ljuba Veselinova ljuba12 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 07:38:42 EDT 2008

I will re-install as you suggest. Cygwin does not appear in the list
of installed programs in the windows control panel though; is it
sufficient to just delete the directory where it resides? Sorry if
this is a stupid question, but as I said, I am very new to this.

Thanks,

Ljuba

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:25 PM, Glynn Clements
<glynn at gclements.plus.com> wrote:

>  Ljuba Veselinova wrote:
>
>  > >         Start -> Programs -> Cygwin -> Cygwin Bash Shell
>  > >
>  > >  It's the black and green "C" icon.
>  >
>  > There are several things that have the appearance of a black and green
>  > C icon. I managed to get to Cygwin bash shell by using the desktop
>  > shortcut suggested by the installation. However, that too gives me
>  > error message. I am appending a screen shot.
>
>  The '\r' errors look as if DOS CRLF line endings have gotten into
>  /etc/profile. This can happen if you manually extract the .tar.gz or
>  .tar.bz2 files using e.g. WinZIP or WinRAR, or if you edit any
>  configuration files using e.g. WordPad.
>
>  To be safe, I suggest deleting the Cygwin directory and re-installing,
>  ensuring you are using the latest GRASS sources from:
>
>         http://grass.osgeo.org/grass62/binary/mswindows/
>
>  Also, on the third page of Cygwin's Setup wizard, be sure to choose
>  "Unix / binary" for the default text file type.
>
>  Alternatively, you could try the native WinGRASS alpha release, as
>  suggested by Marco. This doesn't depend upon Cygwin, but it's
>  significantly less mature than the Cygwin version, and lacks a number
>  of modules.
>
>  --

Ljuba Veselinova
Dept of Linguistics, Stockholm University, S-10691 Stockholm, Sweden

"We learn by going where we want to go."
 Julia Cameron