[GRASS-windows] failed installation of cygwin and GRASS on windows XP

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed Mar 26 17:25:36 EDT 2008

Ljuba Veselinova wrote:

> >         Start -> Programs -> Cygwin -> Cygwin Bash Shell
> >
> >  It's the black and green "C" icon.
>
> There are several things that have the appearance of a black and green
> C icon. I managed to get to Cygwin bash shell by using the desktop
> shortcut suggested by the installation. However, that too gives me
> error message. I am appending a screen shot.

The '\r' errors look as if DOS CRLF line endings have gotten into
/etc/profile. This can happen if you manually extract the .tar.gz or
.tar.bz2 files using e.g. WinZIP or WinRAR, or if you edit any
configuration files using e.g. WordPad.

To be safe, I suggest deleting the Cygwin directory and re-installing,
ensuring you are using the latest GRASS sources from:

	http://grass.osgeo.org/grass62/binary/mswindows/

Also, on the third page of Cygwin's Setup wizard, be sure to choose
"Unix / binary" for the default text file type.

Alternatively, you could try the native WinGRASS alpha release, as
suggested by Marco. This doesn't depend upon Cygwin, but it's
significantly less mature than the Cygwin version, and lacks a number
of modules.