R: [GRASS-windows] failed installation of cygwin and GRASS onwindows XP

Marco Pasetti marco.pasetti at alice.it
Wed Mar 26 17:00:24 EDT 2008

Hi Ljuba,

As you are new to GRASS, I suggest you to test the native binary version:
http://grass.osgeo.org/grass63/binary/mswindows/WinGRASS-6.3.0RC5.1-Setup.ex

This release is a Technology Preview of the future GRASS 6.3.0 release. At
the moment it contains *quite* all GRASS 6.3.0 functionalities, and, even if
not *fully tested*, it works very well in its main functions.
Because it's an *easy way* for windows-GRASS, I strongly recommend you to
try it [not only because I'm the official releaser ;-D]... While, in the
future, if you'll decide that the *missing* functionalities in win-GRASS
(respect to 6.2.3 stable release) are very important for your job, you can
always switch to GRASS 6.2.3 cygwin version (even if, in that case, I always
suggest to install a Linux distribution on your machine and use GRASS on
it).

Marco