[GRASS-windows] Features not yet implemented

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sun Aug 9 15:21:29 EDT 2009

Hi Peter,

just a quick answer:

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Peter Brooks<peter at timedworld.com> wrote:
> Hi... I'm new to GRASS but not to GIS.  Downloaded 6.4, and got to
> grips with the wxPython GUI, which seems a lot more intuitive than
> the TclTk GUI.

great to hear that (the main author is AFAIK currently on holidays).

> I bought the comprehensive (but pricey) 'OPEN SOURCE GIS - A GRASS
> GIS Approach' and am running through the examples but it seems a lot
> of commands don't work in the new GUI... even d.erase comes back with
> "Command 'd.erase' not yet implemented." (although there is a button
> in the map display window that does just that!)

A lot will be the family of d.* commands, right? Indeed, they
are not available *in* the wxPython GUI but in the terminal
window (when using a Unix based operating system).
In the GUI you can use the icons instead.
One day there will be hopefully the possibility to control the
wxGUI monitor from d.* commands.

> I also run a Mac and the same thing happens with the new GUI on that.

Yes, but here you can use the terminal window (the so called shell).
Just enter the commands there and 99.9% should work :)

> Does anyone know why this is, and when (or in what version) it is
> likely to be fixed?  It is a little disconcerting to a new user
> running through the book (yeah, I know it is Windows, and software on
> that platform is meant to be full of bugs :-)

The book should be ok for Windows, too, with the current exception of
the d.* commands. Note: the cygwin GRASS version even supports
that since it comes with a X server but it will be prepared only for the
final release of 6.4.0.

Again, the hope is to have a wxPython based portable family of d.*
commands in the future. The more people join the programming,
the faster we'll arrive there (a prototype is in SVN but not active
right now).

Hope this clarifies a bit,
Markus