[GRASS-windows] Multiple attribute tables in winGRASS 6.4

Sharon M morrisxs09 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 01:56:14 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've successfully used v.in.ogr to import a MID/MIF file into winGRASS
(winGRASS 6.4 r38537 windows binary on Windows XP) and create a vector
map called sla01 with it's associated attribute table (from the .MID
file) in layer 1 (has 124 categories). This uses the DBF database
driver. I now want to add a new attribute table (from a .csv file) - a
row for each category - which contains different information (e.g.
alternate name, population, economic indicators, etc), so a vector
thematic area map can be created using information from the new
attribute table.

Is it possible to have more than one attribute table associated with a
vector map in winGRASS when using the DBF format? If so, how do you do
this please?

So far I've used...
- v.in.ogr to import the MID/MIF file into winGRASS map=sla01 (with
associated table sla01)
- db.in.ogr to import .csv file (with associated .csvt file) to table
name sla01_tbl2. This table contains 124 rows in the same order as the
MID/MIF files. Columns in the new table sla01_tbl2 include "cat"
(created automatically during import), alt_name, idx_ord, pop,
econ_idx, etc
- how do you associate the new table with the vector map sla01?
- how do you then access the new table for producing a vector thematic area map

I've also tried...
- v.db.addtable to create a new table (new_tbl) into layer 2
- v.to.db to populate the new table in layer 2, with (e.g.) cat and
area data, however it won't allow me to query layer 1 (table sla01)
and write to "new_tbl" in layer 2

I'm concerned that I'm trying to do something that might not even be a
feature of winGRASS, so any help would be appreciated.

As an aside, I would use my local Oracle db, but I understand there is
no ODBC feature currently in winGRASS? Will this be a feature in
winGRASS 6.5? winGRASS 7?

Thanks in advance.

Sharon