[GRASS-windows] future of GRASS with cygwin

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Fri May 15 13:03:06 EDT 2009

Rick Thompson wrote:

> I am not clear on the future of cygwin with GRASS. Is this
> version being replaced by the native Windows version?

No. I expect to produce a Cygwin binary package when 6.4.0 is
released.

Unlike the native Windows version, which requires a fair amount of
code changes, the Cygwin version is just a matter of compiling the
code for Cygwin. Cygwin is a lot closer to Linux than MacOSX is.

> If so, how is scripting being done?

You can script GRASS commands in any language. For 6.4, the native
Windows version uses the MSys bash port to run the provided scripts.
In 7.0, all shell scripts are being replaced with equivalent Python
scripts.