[GRASS-windows] Real Time Data Display

Fabio Berton f.berton at hylasoft.com
Thu May 28 05:21:21 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I am totally new to GIS and I am trying to understand a little about this
topic.

I would like to set up a windows system composed by the following elements:

1.       A server containing vector map info

2.       Another (or the same) server containing raster maps

3.       Whatever source providing real-time position of an object via GPS

4.       A windows application client (not a web browser) which displays
raster+vectors.

My main doubt is about triggering somehow the client in order to refresh the
view with the new position and display range.

Regarding point 1 I have tried PostgreSQL + PostGIS and it seems OK. But
what about raster data?

And I think that the simplest way to solve point 3 is to write something
that updates periodically a field in the database.

Can GRASS periodically read that field and somehow trigger the viewer to
refresh the map?

Any suggestion about solutions and architecture is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Fabio