[GRASS-windows] Fwd: WinGRASS installation and addtional python modules

Glynn Clements glynn at gclements.plus.com
Wed May 18 04:00:26 EDT 2011

Johannes Radinger wrote:

> Okay so what I've done now is:
>
> 1) Installed Python 2.7
> 2) Installed addtional Python modules (Numpy, Scipy, Matplotlib)
> 3) Installed WinGRASS 6.4.1 (recent package for Windows)
> 4) Created following environmental variables:
>    GRASS_PYTHON C:\Python27\python
>    PYTHONPATH  %GISBASE%\etc\python
> 5) Restarted Windows (don't know if needed)
>
> Now two questions
> 1) Is everything done correctly

You appear to have missed a key step.

The WinGRASS package tries to bundle Python, which causes problems if
you want to write Python scripts for GRASS. You should remove both the
bundled Python and any references to it.

> and how can I check it (GRASS works,
> but how to check if grass can access the python modules (Scipy)?

> 2) Where do I have to store my python-script to call it from GRASS
> (bin folder in the lib in Mac OS)?

Place the script in %GISBASE%\bin. The script itself will work
regardless of its location, but the code which generates the wxPython
parameter dialogs requires the script to be in the path.