[Incubator] Incubator Application for MOSS4G

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Feb 2 12:44:02 EST 2007

Folks,

Because these things always come in pairs, I'm pleased to announce the
application for incubation of MOSS4G (attached).

MOSS4G (Mobile Open Source Software for Geoinformatics)

Incubator Application Questionnaire

   1. Please provide the name and email address of the principal Project Owner.
	John Graham
	johng at telascience.org

   2. Please provide the names and emails of co-project owners (if any).
	Mateusz Loskot
	mateusz at loskot.net
      Jan-Oliver Wagner
      jan-oliver.wagner at intevation.de

   3. Please provide the names, emails and entity affiliation of all official committers
	John Graham
	johng at telascience.org
	Mateusz Loskot
	mateusz at loskot.net

   4. Please describe your Project.
	MOSS4G (Mobile Open Source Software for Geoinformatics)

	MOSS4G project proposes to build on the discussions of the FOSS4G 2006 Mobile GIS BOF and
	OSGeo Mobile Solutions Wiki and create a GPS enabled application with data exchange and
	remote services (WFS-T), with raster support (WMS). We're going to target Windows CE platform
	first but we are going to use C/posix as the standard so we can migrate to others.

	It will be based on other Open Source projects that have been ported to Windows CE like
	GDAL, GEOS, PROJ.4 and many many other utility libraries like libgd, libpng, libjpeg, etc.
	So, our project is going to create a kind of framework for further developments for GIS
	solutions based on Windows CE platform.

	http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Mobile_Solutions
	http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2006_Mobile_GIS_BOF_Minutes

   5. Why is hosting at OSGeo good for your project?
	svn trac mail-lists and other assets will be very helpful for building the project and promoting interest in the projetc

   6. Type of application does this project represent(client, server, standalone, library, etc.):
	primary goal is to build a map client for mobile devices but it will include porting of many standard libraries

   7. Please describe any relationships to other open source projects.
	MOSS4G uses many of the open source libraries commonly used in other foss4g applications

   8. Please describe any relationships with commercial companies or products.
	we are going to use Microsoft Visual Studio to compile...

   9. Which open source license(s) will the source code be released under?
	GNU LGPL

  10. Is there already a beta or official release?
	no

  11. What is the origin of your project (commercial, experimental, thesis or other higher education, government, or some other source)?
	Higher Education supporting local community GIS projects

  12. Does the project support open standards? Which ones and to what extent? (OGC, w3c, ect.) Has the software been certified to any standard (CITE for example)? If not, is it the intention of the project owners to seek certification at some point?
	OGC standards will be the rule... It would be nice to be "certified"

  13. Is the code free of patents, trademarks, and do you control the copyright?
	yes is will be free and open. copyright "no rights reserved" is my favorite

  14. How many people actively contribute (code, documentation, other?) to the project at this time?
	2

  15. How many people have commit access to the source code respository?
	2 will when we have SVN

  16. Approximately how many users are currently using this project?
	everyone

  17. What type of users does your project attract (government, commercial, hobby, academic research, etc. )?
	ALL

  18. If you do not intend to host any portion of this project using the OSGeo infrastructure, why should you be considered a member project of the OSGeo Foundation?
	???

  19. Does the project include an automated build and test?
	Yes on the telascience buildbot slave

  20. What language(s) are used in this project? (C/Java/perl/etc)

  21. What is the dominant written language (i.e. English, French, Spanish, German, etc) of the core developers?
	English / Polish

  22. What is the (estimated) size of a full release of this project? How many users do you expect to download the project when it is released?
	not sure ... ~6meg ?