[Incubator] Role of Community requirement in incubation

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 20:35:06 PDT 2013

Interesting - I do not think of a project entering incubation as any kind of endorsement (indeed it is almost a vote against as it acknowledges that a project has some open risks associated with its use). However it is a recognition that OSGeo is in position to help.

I do not expect all projects that enter incubation will graduate.

On Thursday, 21 March 2013 at 12:19 PM, Daniel Morissette wrote:

> I came to the conclusion over time that Incubator is not the place to
> build a community, hence my requirement on new projects to have a decent
> community (whatever that means, at least more than a handfull of people)
> before entering incubation. Maybe I'm wrong (very possible based on the
> discussion we're having now), so I will not -1 any project entering
> incubation because of this, I will just -0 which is not a veto and still
> allows it to pass if there are enough +1 votes...

Interesting, if we are going to demand a "balanced" community before accepting projects that is fine - but I would like us to be upfront about this and put it in our application form as a requirement.
> BTW, it was already a few months ago that we discussed the pycsw
> community size. Maybe things have evolved significantly already and we
> don't even need to have this discussion? Maybe someone from the pycsw
> project can give us an update?

I am afraid I missed that discussion as it was during the holidays in Australia. If it did result in a change of position for the members of this committee - we should update our requirements to match.
> P.S. Please also keep in mind that I am only one vote on this committee,
> and if the rest of the group wants to relax this community requirement
> and change the graduation rules then so be it. I would question this
> move and its impact on the OSGeo portfolio of projects down the road,
> but would not stubbornly object if there are good arguments for the change.

Thanks for the excellently written email, and I apologise for being out of touch on this discussion.

How would you like to proceed on this one? Discuss on the email, make a motion, remain stalled.

It seems we have two discussion on the table:

1) Is an open/balanced community a requirement to enter incubation, or only to graduate

2) Be more bit more prescriptive on what we want from community