[Incubator] platforms discussion

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 08:21:31 PDT 2021

It is indeed overloaded, and no I cannot clarify as the applicants that are
coming in are slightly different from each other.

Turn-key portals such as
https://www.osgeo.org/choose-a-project/information-technology/portal/ these
showcase a range of projects. Some like geomoose are presented as
frameworks, others like GC2/Vidi are presented as a platform.

I would be cautious about an open source project that just supports a
single website (like http://github.com/mapstory), but perhaps that is my
own bias? There is an advantage to users of a platform being able to review
the code responsible for the service they are using. But this represents
new ground for OSGeo, hence the discussion.

I also brought this discussion to the osgeo board list; so we do not need
to decide on our own.