[Incubator] platforms discussion

Bruce Bannerman bruce.bannerman.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 21:57:44 PDT 2021

Thanks Jody,

Personally:

I don’t mind a situation where an open source project attempts to develop and maintain software that is intended to integrate a number of software components into a working product which could perhaps be called a platform.

I can see many situations where the ‘platform’ might deploy both components and the platform’s specific customisations concurrently.

However, I would not support a situation where that product (or platform) can only be implemented once. I’d prefer that it can be implemented many times by different organisations.

While such a ‘platform’ project would look after its own "integration related software", I’d see that the individual components would be subject to their own open source project community’s governance practices.

This could get quite messy, when the integration related software is actually a customisation of an existing software component with its own open source community already in existence. This would require careful and close collaboration between both communities…

That will do for now, let’s see what others think.

Kind regards,

Bruce