[Incubator] Masterportal - OS Geo Incubator Application Questionnaire

Dataport PM Masterportal dataportpmmasterportal at dataport.de
Mon Jan 2 23:47:07 PST 2023

Dear Jody, Angelos and OS Geo board members,

first of all we would like to wish you a happy new year.

We completed the incubator questionnaire and would like to provide our answers for you to review.
Feel free to forward this message, make comments or ask further questions.

  1.  Please provide the name and email address of the principal Project Owner.
Name: Sascha Tegtmeyer // E-Mail: sascha.tegtmeyer at gv.hamburg.de<mailto:sascha.tegtmeyer at gv.hamburg.de> // Authority for geoinformation and survey, Hamburg // Address: Neuenfelder Straße 19, 21109 Hamburg, Germany
Name: Jens Nienaber // E-Mail: jens.nienaber at dataport.de<mailto:jens.nienaber at dataport.de> // Address: Billstraße 81, 20539 Hamburg, Germany
  2.  Please provide the names and emails of co-project owners (if any).
  3.  Please provide the names, emails and entity affiliation of all official committers
Name: Markus Besenfelder // E-Mail: markus.besenfelder at gv.hamburg.de<mailto:markus.besenfelder at gv.hamburg.de> // Authority for geoinformation and survey, Hamburg // Address: Neuenfelder Straße 19, 21109 Hamburg, Germany
  4.  Please describe your Project.
The Masterportal is an Open Source geoviewer, supported by an Open Source Community and a partnership of public institutions from Germany and Austria. Feel free to look up: https://www.masterportal.org/home.html or https://www.osgeo.org/projects/masterportal/
  5.  Why is hosting at OSGeo good for your project?
The Masterportal is an Open Source viewer designed for public institutions. Hosting it on OSGeo would increase the visibility of the project and increase input from international public institutions advancing the Masterportal further.
  6.  Type of application does this project represent(client, server, standalone, library, etc.):
The Masterportal is a standalone, entirely browser based geoviewer.
  7.  Please describe any relationships to other open source projects.
The Masterportal is based on OpenLayers and is designed to profit from any new OpenLayers versions. Most users of the Masterportal have a full Open-Source stack of components, mostly using PostGIS+Degree/Geoserver/Mapserver+Masterportal
  8.  Please describe any relationships with commercial companies or products.
There are no project relevant relationships towards commercial companies. On behalf of the public institutions some code is developed by commercial companies.
  9.  Which open source license(s) will the source code be released under?
The Masterportal is released under MIT
  10. Is there already a beta or official release?
The Masterportal is already released: https://bitbucket.org/geowerkstatt-hamburg/masterportal/src/dev/
  11. What is the origin of your project (commercial, experimental, thesis or other higher education, government, or some other source)?
Governmental requirements lead to the first instalment of the Masterportal.
  12. Does the project support open standards? Which ones and to what extent? (OGC, w3c, ect.) Has the software been certified to any standard (CITE for example)? If not, is it the intention of the project owners to seek certification at some point?
The Masterportal supports OGC standards only (see https://www.osgeo.org/projects/masterportal/). There no plans to certify any standards yet. However, if there are any recommendations on behalf of the OSGeo community, we are happy to check these options.The code is free of patents and trademarks and we are under control of the copyright.
  13. How many people actively contribute (code, documentation, other?) to the project at this time?
Approx. 30 people
  14. How many people have commit access to the source code respository?
Currently approx. 50 people. Pull-Requests can be added by anyone.
  15. Approximately how many users are currently using this project?
Good question. We know of at least 60 different govermental institutions which all have serveral geoportals (approx. 20-40 each). Above that we know of several private, research and public instituions which use the Masterportal to present their geodata.
  16. What type of users does your project attract (government, commercial, hobby, academic research, etc. )?
Primarily government and academic research users.
  17. If you do not intend to host any portion of this project using the OSGeo infrastructure, why should you be considered a member project of the OSGeo Foundation?
We would be happy if the projct could use the OSGeo infrastructure.
  18. Does the project include an automated build and test?
Yes. Unit-Tests, End-to-End Test
  19. What language(s) are used in this project? (C/Java/perl/etc)
Mostly JavaScript, CSS for Styling.
  20. What is the dominant written language (i.e. English, French, Spanish, German, etc) of the core developers?
English, German
  21. What is the (estimated) size of a full release of this project? How many users do you expect to download the project when it is released?
The main code can be downloaded with a size of approx 3MB.

Kind regards.

Jens Nienaber

Jens Nienaber
Produktmanagement Masterportal