[Inspire-data] greetings, queries

Just van den Broecke just at justobjects.nl
Tue Mar 16 13:30:28 EDT 2010

Dear Jo,

And hello from us on the list ! This list has been dormant since
november 11, 2009. I think we were remaining in the brainstorming phase
based on http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/INSPIRE_data_experiments
There is also a forum on Geo FOSS for INSPIRE:
http://inspire-forum.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pg/groups/3180/inspire-and-open-source-software/
(also dormant).

At this moment I don't have definite answers for you. I don't even know
if others on this list have been involved in INSPIRE implementations,
except Jeroen Ticheler, he may expand on GeoNetwork.

I can add some of the Dutch Kadaster status. I am contracting for the
Dutch Kadaster in INSPIRE in the context of ESDIN/EURADIN. Here are some
of the results: http://inspire.kademo.nl/doc

My personal idea is that we can provide a reasonably generic Geo FOSS
stack for at least INSPIRE download/WFS services (and metadata). This
stack is generic in the sense that it could be reused within local
member states. Only the ETL part is locally-specific. See
http://inspire.kademo.nl/doc/architecture.html
Note that this approach pre-transforms local data to an INSPIRE DB in
PostGIS. This case worked very well for Cadastral Parcels and Addresses.
Within ESDIN we were the first NMA to deliver an INSPIRE WFS. On-the-fly
transformation within the WFS is the nirwana, but IMHO has many drawbacks.

The ETL-part was done with GDAL/OGR and XSLT for Dutch
addresses/parcels. This was reasonably trivial, also since the XSLT
output were PostGIS statements. I realize that here many NMAs require
visual tools. I have spent some time with Humboldt tools but mainly
didn't find time to use these in the project. XSLT+shell+PostGIS'
ST_Transform() is sometimes so easy ;-).

Some other NMAs did a similar setup. While working on this project I
noticed that the some NMAs become attracted to the visual tools and
glossy leaflets from closed source vendors. This is at least one area
lacking in the stack.

best,

--Just

Just van den Broecke  just at justobjects.nl