[Fwd: Re: [Java-collab] Greetings to this list]

erwan bocher erwan.bocher at gmail.com
Fri May 23 05:17:03 EDT 2008

Hola amigo,

Hi.

> About a binary open GIS format (see below):
> I think the point is to obtain a format with quick random access (shp file
> is ok) and with the possibility to edit features (add, modify, delete)
> without writing the whole file.
> What I like from DXF is that you can use also Curves, and texts. That's why
> I mentioned it.
>
> Another way could be to use SQLite or H2 as local geodatabases.

You can use the H2 spatial extension available here :
http://geosysin.iict.ch/irstv-trac/browser/platform.

> About TIN, I read about this format because I need an algorithm to obtain
> contours from a TIN. ¿Do you know any java code?.

We are developing a TIN generator with hydrological functionalities
(watershed, slope, aspect, contour). Some pieces of code are available here
:
http://geosysin.iict.ch/irstv-trac/browser/platform/processing/src/main/java/org/gdms/triangulation/sweepLine4CDT
It's GPL 3.

Be careful, it's under development. It will be finished in some weeks maybe
2.

Kenavo

R1.

> [...]
>>
>> You wrote: "Or starting with a enhanced DXF, etc."
>>
>> I'm curious what you had in mind when you talk about "enhanced DXF".
>> I'm a big user of DXF and DWG, so this is a topic I'm interested in. I
>> will note that the DXF format already supports a lot of entities that
>> we can't work with in OpenJUMP. Things like text, annotations, basic
>> blocks, external references,  and viewports come to mind.
>>
>>  You wrote: "Not only vectorial: to push TIN formats like this:
>> http://www.vterrain.org/Implementation/Formats/ITF.html or some raster
>> formats."
>>
>> We're working on an open source library for the creation and
>> manipulation of TINs right now as part of OpenJUMP's involvement in
>> Google Summer of Code. Right now were just working on the creation of
>> TINs from point files (CSV I think), but I know we would be interested
>> in supporting an "official" TIN format in the future.
>>
>> Landon
>>

>> On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Francisco José Peñarrubia
>> <fpenarru at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> Maybe this is a good place to start some discussions that may continue in
>>> meetings and hacking events like this:
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Hacking_event
>>> It could be interesting to define some areas to develop in common, and
>>> see
>>> how they can be useful for every Open Source project.
>>>
>>> For example, some time ago, I read a mail from Frank Warmerdam about the
>>> necessity to define a good geo-format for files. Maybe something simillar
>>> .shp, but without its limitations (problems to edit, lack of text
>>> support,
>>> etc). (bxml may be THE solution??)
>>> Or starting with a enhanced DXF, etc. Not only vectorial: to push TIN
>>> formats like this:
>>> http://www.vterrain.org/Implementation/Formats/ITF.html
>>> or some raster formats.
>>>
>>> More ideas?
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Fran Peñarrubia
>>> gvSIG team.
>>>
>>> PS: I think SLD discussion is good and also useful.
>>> (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/java-collab/2008-May/000001.html)
>>>
>>> PS2: I tryed "reply" to e-mail from Thunderbird and the reply goes to the
>>> sender, not to the list. Maybe the administrator of the list can change
>>> this
>>> behaviour, to reply to the list by default. (Thanks in advance)
>>>
>>> andrea antonello escribió:
>>>
>>> Hi Miguel, all,
>>>

>>> I've just joined this list, and as a member of gvSIG team, I want to show
>>> interest for this kind of collaborations.
>>> What other projects are participating in this list?
>>>

>>> I also subscribed the list as soon as I heard of it. Not exactly sure
>>> what it will be for, but following all the inter-list discussions
>>> between openjump-geotools-andsomeother, I have a good feeling about
>>> it.
>>> I'm member of the JGrass / Udig community.

Chercheur
Docteur en géographie,
spécialité géomatique
École Centrale de Nantes
Institut de recherche en sciences et techniques de la ville
http://www.irstv.cnrs.fr/
http://geosysin.iict.ch/irstv-trac/wiki
http://r1.bocher.free.fr
http://www.projet-sigle.org