[Geotools-devel] [Java-collab] ISO19115/ISO19111 VerticalExtent/VerticalCRS and Multidimensional Coverage

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Fri May 30 09:51:54 EDT 2008

Daniele Romagnoli a écrit :
> Row 358 of ISO 19115:2003/Cor.1:2006 provides a role name "verticalCRS"
> which is associated to a "SC_CRS" domain. So, it isn't possible to use a
> SC_CompoundCRS or a SC_EngineeringCRS (both are SC_CRS) for the
> verticalCRS link? I thought that the specification has should explicitly
> state "SC_VerticalCRS" instead of "SC_CRS".

I forgot this point since it was a while ago... But it is quite possible that we
made the "verticalCRS" association more restrictive in GeoAPI than it was in ISO
specification. But both the association name and the textual description suggest
strongly that VerticalCRS is expected by ISO specification, even if they didn't
expressed this restriction as a VerticalCRS type for unknown reason. We note
also that the ISO 19115 specification before 2003 correction was explicitly
referencing a VerticalDatum.

Do we have a use case where a user would be right to associate an other kind of
CRS than VerticalCRS to a VerticalExtent? If we wanted to reference a generic
CRS (including CompoundCRS), maybe it would be better located in the Extent
interface?

	Martin