[Lexicon] Scoping Glossary tasks

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 15:34:46 PDT 2021

Glossarteers,
Over the last couple of weekends I've been reading up on schemas, and then
also thinking about the type of deliverables we might develop in our pilot
(building on our prior conversations).

After a couple of false starts, I found it easier to describe the problem
via the howto guides which we would write at the end (which leads to
defining the tools we will need to deliver).

Doc here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ztDWlinO9vxOLoytnD2KW5IwvHVhazYdwUCxjthQYuw/edit
Comments welcomed.

In particular, I've talked about needing a specific "glossary web service",
then go on to say that Glossarist is one of the tools which could be used
to implement this.

Similarly, I talk about a browser based plugin which highlights glossary
terms, then mention that Simiant is a candidate for this.

Our lynch-pin challenge is still to work out what our recommended schema
format is, and I have headings and pointers to schema.org, SKOS, and ISO
formats, but feel our story is still weak here. We have glossarist
promoting ISO, but we can't publish ISO standards publicly, so I think that
will be a blocker. SKOS looks likely. Schema.org seems to address the
simple use case only.
I think we need a table showing how to translate between the different
schemas and I'd love some help working this out.

Cheers,

--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google