[Lexicon] Google Season of Docs tech writer grants

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 10:36:35 PST 2021

Folks,
The Google Season of Docs program
<https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs> is currently looking for
open source organizations to apply for grants to hire a tech writer for 3
months. Applications due 26 March.

I think that our glossary pilot project is a great candidate. A tech writer
could:
* Provide a guide helping all open source projects in how to set up their
own glossary management strategy - starting small, then growing into a
cross-organization sized glossary.
* Develop a glossary template (as per The Good Docs Project)
* Help document glossarist
* Help set up OSGeo glossaries

I suggest it should be a joint initiative, as we have already - with The
Good Docs Project, OSGeo, and the OGC as open source organisations. (Maybe
the OGC is not quite open source, but the OGC should lend weight to the
application.)

I suspect that OSGeo probably should head the application, which would mean
we'd need two volunteers to stand in as mentors.

I'm interested to hear if anyone here would be willing to volunteer for one
of the mentoring roles and help develop an application?
I've gone through this process before, and am willing to help.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google