[Lexicon] Can a non-incorporated project apply for Season of Docs

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:02:44 PST 2021

Hi Season of Docs folks,
I have a few questions from an organization's perspective, and will ask in
separate email threads so answers are easier to track.

--

Can an open source project, which is not legally incorporated, apply for a
Season of Docs grant?

In particular, I’m wondering about:
https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/terms/organization-terms which
states:

*“If you are accepting on behalf of your open source organization, you
represent and warrant that (i) you have full legal authority to bind your
organization to these terms and conditions”*

I'm asking:
1. On behalf of an open source community of volunteers. We have established
open source governance processes, with a project steering committee, but no
legal standing.
2. On behalf of a committee within an incorporated open source foundation,
where I'm expecting to be able to get the blessing of foundation's board.

--
Cameron Shorter
Technical Writer, Google