[Liblas-devel] RE: Building the .net/mono bindings

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Sat Aug 23 02:15:02 EDT 2008

Martin Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Is it mandatory this??

Yes.

> I don´t know use autotools. I try it, but finally I can not. In my work I
> used rake (only for ruby), rant, scons and waf. Someone of this tools can be
> used?

OK, I will try to help.
Please, describe step-by-step how you build libLAS bindings for .NET on
Windows and Mono on Linux.

> I don´t know NMAKE neither. Can we find other tools?

Alternative to Autotools/NMAKE is CMake, see (CMakeLists.txt,
trunk/build/cmake). Feel free to extend cmake builder with steps for
.NET/Mono.

> Perhaps ruby tools are not suitable, but tools based in python I think coulb
> be valid because in all linux distributions python come installed and in
> windows is easy to install. Besides with arc gis python is installed by
> default.

Most users are familiar with building software from sources using
(./configure && make && make install) on Linux and (nmake /f
makefile.vc) on Windows. These builders are available in Linux/Windwos
out of the box, no additional software is required, so it makes them
easy to use.

Recently, cmake has become a popular alternative. Installation of cmake
is extremely simple for an average user.

Best regards,