[Liblas-devel] liblas and gdal

creta kano creta.kano at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:27:44 EST 2008

Hi,

Howard asked me to write up use case for using liblas in gdal.  Here's some
background - we currently use gdal to read coverages and write them to
different formats, read metadata if its in the header, and to subset and
resample images that we use in our WMS and WCS.

The use case for liblas and gdal is that gdal would be able to read, write,
and subset las files in its native format.  Gdal should be able to also read
and write metadata from a las file.  Gdal should be be able to convert a las
file to gridded coverage such as geotiff to support a preview of the data.

Here some specifics on how gdal should behave for our use case:

The program should do the following:

- provides metadata about the file, eg:

Source=E:/data/Coverages/02pkbm2b.i42
   Driver=NITF
   PixelSize=(1536,1536)
   Srs=EPSG:4326
   Box_UpperLeft=(68.948223,34.526854)
   Box_LowerLeft=(68.948223,34.513043)
   Box_UpperRight=(68.966497,34.526854)
   Box_LowerRight=(68.966497,34.513043)
   NBands=1
   DataType=Byte
   HasMetadata=false 129

or

Source=E:/Data/Coverages/Imagery.tif
   Driver=GeoTIFF
   PixelSize=(6000,6000)
   Srs=EPSG:4326
   GCP_UpperLeft=(1,1);(94.905,6.03351,0)
   GCP_UpperRight=(6000,1);(95.5752,5.88181,0)
   GCP_LowerLeft=(6000,6000);(95.4525,5.35223,0)
   GCP_LowerRight=(1,6000);(94.7828,5.5035,0)
   NBands=4
   DataType=Byte,Byte,Byte,Byte
   HasMetadata=true
   TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION=XS3 XS2 XS1 SWIR
   TIFFTAG_DATETIME=2005:01:06 11:03:20

note that SRS can be in either EPSG or WKT

- able to write all or part of the file and write in the native file format

The software is able to subset a file using a bounding box. When writing in
the native format, interpolation is not allowed.

- able to write all or part of the file to a DEM

The software is able to subset a file using a bounding box. When writing to
a DEM, interpolation is not allowed.

able to write all or part of the file to a geotiff

The software is able to subset a file using a bounding box. When writing to
a geotiff, interpolation is allowed.

sophia