[Liblas-devel] DebianGIS packaging; license

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Wed Oct 29 04:59:55 EDT 2008

Hamish pisze:
>>> Hamish: - Any news or ideas on OGR integration?
>>
>> Martin Vales wrote: Hoby and mateus (liblas main developers) i
>> believe they work directly in that libraries and they plan add GDAL
>> support to liblas.
>
> I was wondering more about liblas support within GDAL, not the other
> way around.

Hamish,

This can be done by writing GDAL/OGR driver for ASPRS LAS format with
use of libLAS library. There is some idea of that but no roadmap.
Another idea that I've already presented on GRASS mailing list is to
develop GRASS module interfacing to libLAS directly.

In the meantime, the only "integration" between libLAS and GDAL we have
is a simple command line utility called las2ogr, see
http://liblas.org/svn/trunk/apps/las2ogr.cpp

This tool can translate LAS file to regular vector file like ESRI
Shapefile using OGR features.

Best regards,