[Liblas-devel] Vertical Coordinate Systems in LAS format

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 15:55:47 EST 2010

On Jan 11, 2010, at 12:45 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have been working on adding support for reading and writing vertical datums
> with liblas in .las files.  I have written up a sort of general information
> page on the effort, the tags used, and the suggested interface changes
> to liblas at:
>
>  http://liblas.org/wiki/VerticalCS
>
> I am seeking feedback on the planned use of geotags for vertical coordinate
> systems, and the proposed interfaces within liblas.
>
> I do have this all implemented now, but there is certainly room to make
> adjustments before it is committed.

+1 from me.  Implement and push up to the main repository at your leisure.

I would like to see a bool LASSpatialReference::HasVerticalCS() implemented as well so that a user would be able to determine the verticalness of their SRS and alter their execution path accordingly.  I don't know if that would be merely a lookup of the VerticalWKT for VERT_CS, or something more sophisticated.  I don't like the name GetWKTWithVerticalCS, though I can't think of a better one.

Thanks for the great additions,