[Liblas-devel] Squeeze me

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:52:20 EST 2010

On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:52 PM, Etienne Bellemare Racine wrote:

> That seems like a good idea. I was wondering if it would be possible, to add an option to also order the points coordinates in a spatial order instead of (I think) a temporal one, it would be much faster to scan the file that way to extract any point. within a given coordinate. Would it enter in the laszip specifications ? Of course, it would be much slower to write, I know, but it would be for a longtime gain in speed of reading. What do you think ?

You really mean you wish that fast spatial indexing and retrieval were available for LAS files :)  The next version of libLAS will have that too, actually.  I have already coded up some special cased examples of it (using parallel file storage of libspatialindex indexes), but I am hoping to implement something more generic.  This also might fall across the liblidar/lidarformat line as well, I don't know.