[Liblas-devel] Specification for point dimensionality

Mike Grant mggr at pml.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 07:31:01 EST 2010

Hi Howard,

On 25/02/10 16:10, Howard Butler wrote:
> I would like to
> propose that we provide a liblas.org VLR record that contains an XML
> file to describe the dimensions, their sizes, if they are used, etc.
[snip]
> I propose each entry in the file have the following attributes:

Not sure if LAS mandates a global endian format, but it'd be good to
include that if not.

> All this would be properly namespaced XML (liblas.org or something)
> along with whatever we can find for standards such as those for
> describing data types, etc.  Maybe there's an existing standard for
> something like this already, I don't know.

I've come across two things that might be worth looking at - they're not
directly usable here, but they may provide some guidance/ideas:

 http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_vrt.html (also
http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html)
  - GDAL's XML format for describing data (see the fields section)

 http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/documents/cf-conventions/1.4/ch03s05.html
  - CF Conventions for netCDF data (bitfields section)

On a vaguely related note, it'd be nice to have a VLR XML (ISO) that
described the dataset for archival and metadata purposes.  Probably more
something for a LAS 1.4 discussion though.

Cheers,

Mike.

Plymouth Marine Laboratory

Registered Office:
Prospect Place
The Hoe
Plymouth  PL1 3DH

Website: www.pml.ac.uk
Registered Charity No. 1091222
PML is a company limited by guarantee
registered in England & Wales
company number 4178503

PML is a member of the Plymouth Marine Sciences Partnership
Website: www.pmsp.org.uk
This e-mail, its content and any file attachments are confidential.

If you have received this e-mail in error please do not copy, disclose it to any third party or use the contents or attachments in any way. Please notify the sender by replying to this e-mail or e-mail forinfo at pml.ac.uk and then delete the email without making any copies or using it in any other way.

The content of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Plymouth Marine Laboratory unless specifically stated.

You are reminded that e-mail communications are not secure and may contain viruses. Plymouth Marine Laboratory accepts no liability for any loss or damage which may be caused by viruses.