[Liblas-devel] libLAS Desires

Murphy, Kevin E. Kevin.Murphy at jhuapl.edu
Mon Mar 15 17:46:25 EDT 2010

> I doubt libLAS is going to do anything with LAS 1.3 waveform data.
> It appears to me as though the market is rejecting this format as
> it only fits one sensor, and if anything, people are just going to
> store point data in LAS files and call it 1.3.

Fine with me.  I didn't really have any use for 1.3 myself.

> Currently, it doesn't cache anything at at all.  With the new ReaderI
> interface, it would be possible to provide a cached reader implementation
> that could live in parallel with the existing serial one.  As to what a
> point cache's actual implementation looks like, I'm a bit unsure.  What
> defines the "uniqueness" of a point in a LAS file (ie, how do we know we
> have a cache hit)?  Just its index position?

For my purposes, it is simple index position.  I'm usually working with multi-
gigabyte LAS files collected in sequential time order.  This tends to lend
a degree of spatial clustering as well, allowing simple caching by index
to provide advantages whether I'm accessing by time or by position.

Kevin E. Murphy
Chief Engineer
Image Exploitation Group
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
(443) 778-5340