[Liblas-devel] libgeotiff / cpl / libspatialreference.hpp changes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Nov 15 11:44:53 EST 2010

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Julien Malik wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I encountered this bug, as did a lot of OrfeoToolbox users since we
>> updated to liblas 1.6.0b2.
>> It affects at least Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, OpenSuse 11.2, 11.3 and
>> OpenBSD 4.8+
>> I personnally use ubuntu 10.10 with gdal/geotiff from
>> ubuntugis/unstable repo, which gives me recent versions (gdal 1.7.2
>> and geotiff 1.2.5), and it still does not work.
>
> Julien,
>
> Note that while these are reasonably recent, they are not current.
>
>> So currently, gdal/geotiff support in liblas seems broken. I tested
>> with yesterday's trunk.
>>
>> Just wanted to know if this problem will be addressed before the next
>> release ?
>  >
>> Or you will rely on the end-user to hand-modify a geotiff header
>> (which he may not have access to) ?
>
> I will investigate if there is a cleaner mechanism of handling this
> issue.  Would you like to file a ticket with liblas's trac on the
> problem so we can keep track of progress?
>
> Best regards,

Julien and others,

I have made a change in liblas trunk such that updating to the very newest
libgeotiff or hand editing of geo_simpletags.h should no longer be
necessary.  The changes are documented at:

   http://trac.liblas.org/ticket/194

In the longer term I'd like to strip some of the libgeotiff and gdal
includes out of libspatialreference.hpp so we don't have such widespread
interaction of environments.   But I'm not sure this is the right time to
do that.

Best regards,