[Liblas-devel] create in internal lab *.exe with Python and Liblas (problem)

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 07:28:45 PDT 2012

On Sep 24, 2012, at 4:54 AM, gianni lavaredo <gianni.lavaredo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Howard,
>
> thanks for the tip. laspy looks really nice today I am doing some test in Python. Sorry if I ask this question but all week-end I am thinking about these questions.
>
> 1)  Ex: if I have an area in cover with las file and i clip a small piece do i need to change the "header" of my las file?

It would be nice, though not necessarily required to do so. The specification is somewhat clear on this, but the actual implementations in the wild show that many softwares are sloppy about keeping the bounds up to date with the actual point data.

> 2) is there a way to insert an ID (ex: clip by gianni) inside the header of the new file?

To create something that only gianni could be expected to read, create a VLR and put whatever you want in that. You could modify the system_id to be something that everyone else could read, but I would only do that in the case where the file you are modifying didn't have anything significant in the system_id already.