[rttopo-dev] Tolerance 0 support in master branch

a.furieri at lqt.it a.furieri at lqt.it
Tue Sep 6 05:53:53 PDT 2016

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016 13:30:29 +0200, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
> SpatiaLite needs to be adapted for the new API and will require
> librttopo > 1.0.0. Since spatialite 4.4.0 final hasn't been released
> yet, that shouldn't be an issue. A new librttopo release will be
> required for the eventual SpatiaLite 4.4.0 release.

Hi Sebastian,

I fully agree with your suggestion.
the release of the next spatialite 4.4.0 stable/final isn't
expected in the very near future for two good reasons:

1. the first main goal of 4.4.0 was supporting ISO Topology.
    librttopo still is kind of a fast moving target, so it seems
    absolutely wise and appropriate to wait until a more complete,
    efficient and stable implementation of rttopo will be available.

2. the second goal of 4.4.0 was integrating librsterlite2, that
    is still requiring some important final fixes to be considered
    really "stable": unhappily in recent months I had very little
    time to devote to open source development, and consequently
    RL2 is not expected to be ready in a very short term.

all this considered, waiting a little bit longer is not a
dramatical issue, if the final result will be a really stable
4.4.0 based on solid versions of both librttopo and librasterlite2.

conclusion: we'll definitely dismiss any support to librttopo
1.0.0 (considered to be only a short lived and not really stable
testing version) and we'll adopt librttopo > 1.0.0 as a strict
requirement for spatialite 4.4.0

I easily imagine that the better time to switch from the old to
the new librttopo should be when it reaches a definitely stable
API configuration, so to concentrate any required change into a
single comprehensive development cycle and thus avoiding that
too many sparse changes will possibly introduce subtle regressions
into the spatialite's codebase and testsuite.

bye Sandro