[Live-demo] 2.0beta5 released today, final 2.0 starts building on Friday

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Sep 24 13:39:57 EDT 2009

Hamish wrote:
> Cameron wrote:
>> The next release to be created will be by Alex Mandel, who
>> will start Friday evening, US time.
>
> Alex, if there is time to do a quick beta5 between now and then.....?
>  :) :)
> ?
I don't have time to build beta5, but someone else is welcome to. I've
committed to running the final and seeding a torrent for it.

>> So please test like crazy, and fix anything you can.
>
> in beta4 there was a problem that some self-compiling scripts sucked
> in some hundreds of megabytes of -dev packages and didn't remove them
> after their compile. At the same time the non-dev libraries which those
> -dev packges brought with them which are required by the compiled program
> were only tagged in the package management system as automatically
> installed, so when the -dev packages were auto-removed later on the
> libraries disappear as well (because the system thinks no one is using
> them) and then the self-compiled program dies because a library can't be
> found.
>
> (can't stop the auto-remove; multiple versions of libraries can coexist
> happily enough but not multiple versions of -dev packages)
>

> I think I've fixed all of these in SVN now by explicitly installing the
> libraries that seem to be removed in err, but I can not really test it.
> I would ask that folks check that pgRouting and R-qt stuff works as
> expected.

Last I looked the R plugins in QGIS were working.

> I would also ask that folks try the ISO on their laptops and report if
> their wifi works or not. we may have to select a few non-free binary
> blob packages for those. (maybe Ubuntu already includes those, I'm not
> sure, so I ask)

Wifi and Monitor worked great on my laptop- nvidia graphics, intel wifi

> these two were on the GISVM and got automatically removed, not sure if
> that matters to anyone:
>  linux-headers-2.6.28-11
>  linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic

Sorry that would be my fault, I did a smart upgrade by hand before I
started to bring the base system up to date.

> and I notice that install_mapserver.sh removes these two:
>   apache2-mpm-worker libgd2-noxpm
> ?

Ah yes that's because it installs php which is incompatible with that
Apache package and replaces it with a compatible one. The only real
effect is no multi threading for apache.

> I would ask that the maintainers of the install_pgrouting.sh,
> install_postgres.sh, and load_postgis.sh scripts please use the --quiet
> flag with the psql command. Currently that fills the build log with
> thousands of lines of SQL which makes the logs harder to pour through.
>

>> Do not introduce any new functionality of anything which
>> might break the build before then.
>
> me, I'm just worried about the damages caused by the above fixes :^)
>

> To review recent SVN changes look here:
>   https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/log/livedvd/gisvm/trunk
>
> click on a [rev number] to see the colorized diff.
> Beta4 was r2282. We are now up to r2319. (several of those are elsewhere
> in the osgeo repo though, it is not just used for livedemo project)

At least 2-3 of those are actually fixes I put in while I found errors
during the build.

> I added a install_osm.sh script in svn to add some probably-harmless
> OpenStreetMap tools, but have not activated it in main.sh.
>
> Also MapTiler, GpsBabel + GUI (1.2mb), and gpsVP (500k) have been added
> to the ms-windows installer list. Mac OSX installers have not been added
> yet. Are those on the same deadline?

No they are not, since the plan now is to add them as folders after iso
creation. Their deadline should be about 8-12 hours after the final
build starts.

>> If you introduce a fix to one of the build scripts, please
>> test that it runs in the last VM, or organise to have
>> someone test it for you.
>

> if someone could run through the included grass and gpsdrive help
> micro-tutorials I would be most grateful.
>

> cheers,
> Hamish

Thanks,
Alex