[Live-demo] 2.0beta5 released today, final 2.0 starts building on Friday

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at lisasoft.com
Thu Sep 24 16:22:29 EDT 2009

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>
>> Cameron wrote:
>>
>>> The next release to be created will be by Alex Mandel, who
>>> will start Friday evening, US time.
>>>
>> Alex, if there is time to do a quick beta5 between now and then.....?
>>  :) :)
>> ?
>>
> I don't have time to build beta5, but someone else is welcome to. I've
> committed to running the final and seeding a torrent for it.

I'll start a beta5 build now. Hopefully I should have a release ready in
16 hours or so.

> [...]
>>>
>> in beta4 there was a problem that some self-compiling scripts sucked
>> in some hundreds of megabytes of -dev packages and didn't remove them
>> after their compile. At the same time the non-dev libraries which those
>> -dev packges brought with them which are required by the compiled program
>> were only tagged in the package management system as automatically
>> installed, so when the -dev packages were auto-removed later on the
>> libraries disappear as well (because the system thinks no one is using
>> them) and then the self-compiled program dies because a library can't be
>> found.
>>
>> (can't stop the auto-remove; multiple versions of libraries can coexist
>> happily enough but not multiple versions of -dev packages)
>>

>> I think I've fixed all of these in SVN now by explicitly installing the
>> libraries that seem to be removed in err, but I can not really test it.
>> I would ask that folks check that pgRouting and R-qt stuff works as
>> expected.
>>

> Last I looked the R plugins in QGIS were working.
>
>> I would also ask that folks try the ISO on their laptops and report if
>> their wifi works or not. we may have to select a few non-free binary
>> blob packages for those. (maybe Ubuntu already includes those, I'm not
>> sure, so I ask)
>>

> Wifi and Monitor worked great on my laptop- nvidia graphics, intel wifi
>

>> these two were on the GISVM and got automatically removed, not sure if
>> that matters to anyone:
>>  linux-headers-2.6.28-11
>>  linux-headers-2.6.28-11-generic
>>

> Sorry that would be my fault, I did a smart upgrade by hand before I
> started to bring the base system up to date.
>

>> and I notice that install_mapserver.sh removes these two:
>>   apache2-mpm-worker libgd2-noxpm
>> ?
>>

> Ah yes that's because it installs php which is incompatible with that
> Apache package and replaces it with a compatible one. The only real
> effect is no multi threading for apache.
>

>> I would ask that the maintainers of the install_pgrouting.sh,
>> install_postgres.sh, and load_postgis.sh scripts please use the --quiet
>> flag with the psql command. Currently that fills the build log with
>> thousands of lines of SQL which makes the logs harder to pour through.
>>

>>> Do not introduce any new functionality of anything which
>>> might break the build before then.
>>>
>> me, I'm just worried about the damages caused by the above fixes :^)
>>

>> To review recent SVN changes look here:
>>   https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/log/livedvd/gisvm/trunk
>>
>> click on a [rev number] to see the colorized diff.
>> Beta4 was r2282. We are now up to r2319. (several of those are elsewhere
>> in the osgeo repo though, it is not just used for livedemo project)
>>

> At least 2-3 of those are actually fixes I put in while I found errors
> during the build.
>
>> I added a install_osm.sh script in svn to add some probably-harmless
>> OpenStreetMap tools, but have not activated it in main.sh.

Thanks, agree that we should not introduce OSM now, we don't have time
to test it.
>> Also MapTiler, GpsBabel + GUI (1.2mb), and gpsVP (500k) have been added
>> to the ms-windows installer list. Mac OSX installers have not been added
>> yet. Are those on the same deadline?
>>

> No they are not, since the plan now is to add them as folders after iso
> creation. Their deadline should be about 8-12 hours after the final
> build starts.

I'd love it if someone could work out the process for adding a directory
to an ISO image, either by using an option in remastersys (preferred
option) or retrospectively afterwards.
Write the process up either on this list, or probably better in an issue
in the issue tracker.

>>> If you introduce a fix to one of the build scripts, please
>>> test that it runs in the last VM, or organise to have
>>> someone test it for you.
>>>
>> if someone could run through the included grass and gpsdrive help
>> micro-tutorials I would be most grateful.
>>

>> cheers,
>> Hamish
>>

> Thanks,
> Alex