[Live-demo] A folder for beta software

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 2 07:45:10 EST 2010

Cameron:
> I suggest that we should set up a new category (on the same
> level as Education) called "Geospatial"
>
> So we would have:
> Geospatial/gvsig
> Geospatial/geoserver
>
> Geospatial/beta/gvsig-mobile

fyi a number of scripts already create new menu items/branches
using the WM-independent "update-menus" system.

e.g. this in install_grass.sh creates a Applications/Science/
Geoscience menu and puts "GRASS GIS" as an entry in it:

# add menu item
if [ ! -e /usr/share/menu/grass ] ; then
   cat << EOF > /usr/share/menu/grass
?package(grass):needs="text"\
  section="Applications/Science/Geoscience"\
  title="GRASS GIS"\
  command="/usr/bin/grass$GVER"\
  icon="/usr/share/icons/grass-48x48.png"
EOF

   update-menus
fi

I'm not really opposed to it, but I'm not entirely sure why we
need a second parallel method to do the same thing.

$ man update-menus
DESCRIPTION
       Before the advent of update-menus, when the system  administra-
       tors  installed a package onto a Debian system, they would need
       to edit various window manager configuration files to make  the
       new  program  show  up on, for example, fvwm's menus. The menus
       could easily become out of sync with what programs  were  actu-
       ally  available,  with  some  menu  items that didn't work, and
       other programs that lacked  a  menu  entry.   update-menus  and
       Debian's menu package aim to solve this problem.

       update-menus  automatically  generates  menus of installed pro-
       grams for window managers and other menu programs. It should be
       run  whenever  a  menufile(5)  or  menu-method file is changed.
       update-menus will be run  automatically  when  Debian  packages
       that  contain  menu  files are installed on or removed from the
       system.

       update-menus uses the package-supplied  menu  entry  files  (in
       /usr/share/menu)  for its information about the menus (but this
       can be overruled by the system administrator/user; see  below).
       If  a  menu entry file is executable, update-menus executes the
       menu entry file, and uses  its  stdout  to  generate  the  menu
       database.

> Once you have worked out how it should be done, could you
> please also update the build wiki so that others can follow
> your steps.
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GISVM_Build

(renamed that to http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Live_GIS_Build  btw)

Hamish