[Live-demo] artwork

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 09:05:26 EST 2010

Hamish:
> I notice the two new DVD artwork files:
> desktop-conf/ArramagongDVDCover1JG.ai
> desktop-conf/ArramagongDVDCover2JG.ai
>
> are these in adobe illustrator format? `file` calls them PDFs
> and I can open them in evince, ...? or is PDF the native format
> of AI these days?

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2008/02/24/opening-adobe-illustrator-ai-files-when-you-don-t-have-adobe-illustrator.aspx

wikipedia:
"""
Recent versions of the AI file format, including the PDF-based formats and recent EPS formats, are based on a native format called PGF that is unrelated to both EPS and PDF. PDF compatibility is achieved not by extending the PDF format, but by embedding a complete copy of the native PGF data within the PDF file. The same kind of “dual path” approach is also used when recent versions of Illustrator are saving EPS-compatible files.
"""

Hamish